Wednesday, April 18, 2012

#11 - Read More

Okay - I wanted to ensure I updated where I was at on my list. So far, I can say that I was able to read a book in a week. Of course, since it was the 3rd book in The Hunger Games, I really couldn't put it down! I guess that helps.

Even though I read the first 2 books in the series before I turned 29 (okay, I finished the 2nd book the day before my birthday!) I thought I would include all of them in my little summary of the book for anyone who would like more information on it and possibly read the book themselves. (I have already gotten my mom to read them and she has had a few of her friends read them too!)

THE HUNGER GAMES - TRILOGY

From the moment the first book started I was hooked. It is like instant action going on and you just want to keep reading to see what happens and how things pan out.

Basic overview of the books is this: They are set in the world of Panem and there is the Capital and 13 Districts. These Districts really do not have any names other than their number. The majority of the story takes place in District 12 where Katniss Everdeen lives with her mom, sister (Primrose, or Prim for short) and Prim's cat Buttercup.
There was a point in the history of Panem when the Districts tried to revolt against the Capital and District 13 is destroyed in the process. When the Capital regained control, they started what is known as "The Hunger Games" as a way of controlling the Districts and reminding them that the Capital is in charge.

What are the Hunger Games?: Every child in every district from ages of 12-18 has their name put in a bowl one more time each year. (So if the child is 12 their name is in their once; if the child is 18 their name is in there 7 times.) Now, since there is such famine in the land, the children can have their names added more times in exchange for food to feed their families, which happens a lot in District 12.
Every year the Capital comes and draws 2 names from the bowls - one boy and one girl to be that Districts representative in The Hunger Games. These children are forced to fight to the death in an arena set up by the Capital.

It gets better: This might sound like a harsh book or a rough story line to read, but as you continue through the books you start to better understand what is going on. The Districts do not like the way things are and the children do not want to kill. Basically, think of it as the Nation is at war...just like we have been with Iraq and Afghanistan since 9/11. Only instead of having an all-out war, they choose to use the Hunger Games as a way of keeping the Districts in line.

Keep reading: One thing I will say is that you owe it to yourself to keep reading these books. Do not stop! I found book 2 a little rough to get through, but others I have talked to liked it the best. I cannot tell you much of what happened in book 3 though or else it will give everything away.

I know there has been some controversy over these books and how they are having children kill children, but that is not the theme of the books. It is not the main point either. If you read them all you will begin to see that there is so much more to this trilogy than the killing. Its a nation at war with itself and finding out how they handle the situations they are faced with.

Yes, I do recommend these books - but only if you stick with them and read all 3 together. It is just like any other movie or book out there about finding love in the midst of a war.

No comments:

Post a Comment