Monday, February 14, 2011

A Holiday or Not a Holiday???

Okay - so I cannot help myself today....

Today is what the country knows as "Valentine's Day"... Now to me, I think it is a pointless holiday. Don't get me wrong, I love the overall concept of it, but the way that it is played out has me a little bit annoyed.

I must stop and say this - my fiancĂ©, Destry, bought me the most amazing sapphire necklace on Saturday. He took me to my favorite jewelry store to pick out what I wanted...even though ultimately I made him make the final decision. I wanted to ensure I would be wearing what he wanted to buy me and what he liked looking at, since, after all, he would see it more than me since I can't really see my neck! LoL I absolutely love the necklace and the way that Destry made me feel so special by buying it for me... I will wear it proudly for all to see! Now, I have a necklace with my man's favorite color in it.

So, back to my rant about Valentine's Day...

This is only my second VD with someone special in my life & let me tell you, it is the worst to be single on this day! I mean, why do we set aside one day (not even 2 months after Christmas) to tell our significant other that we love them? It is like they are giving guys a day to remember that it's been a month and a half since they told their spouse they love them and how special they are.

I guess I have never understood the concept of giving our guys free passes to purposely forget to tell us how they feel or buy random flowers or presents because we have created this "holiday" to schedule gifts. Like I said above, I absolutely love the necklace Destry bought me and would not give it back (nor the necklace he gave me last year!) but at the same time, the randomness is so much more romantic. (Baby, if you are reading this, please know I am not down-playing your gift... You already know my thoughts and feelings, so I thought it was okay to do this blog...I love you!!!)

Why should we schedule a day to do something that we should already be doing anyway? My favorite gift from Destry was the day he surprised me with a romantic dinner at a restaurant I had never heard of and then gave me a pair of earrings. There was no holiday that day. Not my birthday. It was just because he loved me and wanted me to know how much he loved me. That to me is romantic. Not waiting until Hallmark and the jewelry stores schedules a holiday because their sales are slow and they need more money.

On another note - I don't understand why couples have to announce their love so much that all the people out there who do not have that special someone in their life feels sad and depressed. I love nothing better than walking around the mall or a store, holding Destry's hand and smiling, giggling or hugging one another. But at the same time, being someone who does not have someone special in their life that can be the most annoying thing to see. So, yes, Destry & I went out on Saturday and hung out at some stores doing some shopping and even went out to lunch, but that was it. We did not give into the whole so-called holiday that was created.

When Destry takes the time to tell me that he loves me, just because I am me, for no particular reason at all other than to ensure I know it, that is more special than anything in the world. I would rather us make our own holidays than give into anything set up by the card and jewelry companies to get more of our money. Knowing this, Destry has never given me a gift on the actual day of Valentine's Day...always a day or two before! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment