Thursday, February 10, 2011

Who is Jael???

My church started last year groups called Growth Groups (G2) for our mid-week service. We designed them to be taught by a variety of people, depending on the topic, and can be taught at the church, at someones house or a restaurant. Basically anywhere people can gather is a place a G2 group can be held.

Well I tell you this to tell you that I volunteered to teach a class this time around... I knew what God was telling me to teach on, but it took a while to figure out the title of the class. (I know, the most important part! LoL But I wanted something catchy!) So, over a Chinese buffet lunch, mom & I came up with:

Beauty Shops & Nail Salons: Chatting With Women of the Bible

Thought that would be fun and intriguing. I mean, how often in beauty shops or nail salons are women chatting about the latest stuff going on, the newest piece of news they've heard or just about anything at all that is going on in their life. I figured this would be a great title since we often don't know much about the different women of the Bible, and just chatting about them would help us to get to know them better, and at the same time, learn a lot from them.

Last night was my first class. I decided to teach them at the church on Wednesday nights. Last nights woman of the night was Jael... Now I know many of you are thinking "Who? There's no one by that name in the Bible!" Well, actually there is! I was shocked too! I had not heard of her before and it made me want to learn more, so I kept reading. Turn to Judges 4 & 5. There are like 10 verses maybe dedicated to who this woman is and what she did for God.

Jael is known as a decisive and courageous! Wow... Two very mighty words and they are used to describe a woman from the Bible. Now, she might not be very well known to any of us, but we can learn a lot from her. She knew what God's plan was for her and did not question it when it came time for her complete God's will for her life. No matter how she thought it might be received by those in her tribe, she trusted in God and knew that He would give her the strength and courage to complete His plan for her life.

We could all learn a little bit from Jael and how she conducted her life. When God tells us to do something, we should not question Him or His timing. We also need to remember that He will give us the means and the ability to complete whatever it is that He has put on our heart to do. If we allow God to remain in control of our lives all the time instead of taking control back when things are going good, just imagine what else He could do through us...

As I continue through my day, I continue to think about Jael and how she was not afraid to follow through with God's call on her life, no matter what, leaning on Him for strength. We could all learn a lot from Jael!

No comments:

Post a Comment