Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Like Dandelion Dust

Okay - I am going to start out by saying that I love Karen Kingsbury's books! I have read so many of them and connected with so many of the characters throughout the stories that she has written over the years. My best friend, Deidra, will often tell of the latest one that she has read & I'll do the same to her. Then we sit and talk about the books and what we thought of them. 

When we heard that the latest book Like Dandelion Dust was not only a book, but being made into a movie, we decided to read the book really quick and find a theater where it was playing (since it was limited release) and go see it together. Well, life got in the way and needless to say, when it came out in the theater, neither of us had finished the book.

My problem with reading the book was it was so slow...I know there was a lot of details involved in telling the whole story, just as it needed to be told. But still. The whole book seemed to drag, which is what took me so long to read it. I basically had to force myself to finish this book, unlike any other book written by Karen Kingsbury. 

That didn't matter though - I was still excited about the movie and the fact that this book was going to be made into a movie. I thought that maybe, finally, a good Christian movie was going to be released for the whole world to see.

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the movie. I just finished watching it and I honestly wish I had not watched it. It did not really follow the book much at all. I understand that when books are made into movies that it is hard to get the details like they should be since it is easier to write the characters thoughts down on paper than try to make them come through on a movie. But there were just so many details that were out of place...not even close to the book. 

The movie left me very disappointed & almost to the point of wishing that I had not even watched it. The lack of God discussed in the movie...I mean in the book even Wendy talked about God and had her Bible with her. Beth & Molly did Bible studies in the book; no evidence of those in the movie. It just left me wanting more.

I figured the movie would be a little bit slow, but it just drug on and on. Even the so-called "action" scenes were just blah.

Needless to say - I will not be recommending this movie to anyone who read the book. My fiancĂ© watched the movie without having read the book and still felt like it was slow and lacked God. I feel like they could have stuck to the book a little bit more than they did. They had some scenes that were just completely opposite of the book... Like learning about the dandelion - the book that scene happened at a park in Florida...in the movie Wendy taught him about it.

I just don't understand how they decided that movie was a good depiction of the book. 

One very disappointed reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment