Friday, January 28, 2011

Plan for the marriage...

It has been almost 8 months since Destry proposed to me at the park in Lima... He took me on a picnic with my favorite pizza!! I had no clue & the proposal was a complete surprise...Just the way it should be! Destry even picked out the ring all by himself - and I must say, he did an amazing job! :o)

Anyway - since we are 8 months since the proposal, and still about 7 months from the wedding, the wedding planning has been going like crazy! I took a few months off while we searched for a house and took care of all of the necessary items to buy a house...and now decorating it. I thought it would be okay, but it has actually caused me a lot of stress. I have not always looked into the planning with open arms, mainly because this is way bigger than I ever imagined my wedding to be. I have been caught off guard by a lot of it and I think that has stressed me out more.

It takes a lot to plan just one day of our lives! It also takes a lot of money, but that is a whole different story! I think that often times I think we focus on all the little details that go into one day, and overlook the planning for the actual marriage. I realized this as I am currently in a "Pre-Marital and Marital Counseling" class in school right now. (Perfect timing, right? haha) People spend so much time and money on the wedding day and when it is over realize that they have not planned for the actual marriage. This is where most marriages get in trouble since they have been planning so much on the one day...when really that one day is minor in the whole grand picture of our lives. Yes, it is a great day, and yes, marriage between a man and woman is very important. But the wedding is not the marriage.

Take the time throughout planning for the wedding to plan for the marriage. Talk about issues that you have or questions that you could have about your soon-to-be spouse. Take Pre-Marital Counseling with your fiancĂ© to really get to know them and start thinking as a married couple. Find books on good Christian marriage and how to prepare for those days after the wedding ceremony and honeymoon are over. The more you can prepare for the marriage while planning the wedding, the better off you will be able to handle the situations that arise in the marriage.

God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment